Monday, February 18, 2008

Councillor pay

With the cash for honours affair, Derek Conway and the stupidly poor administration of some of Labour's deputy leadership candidates, paying for democracy is high on the agenda. There are many stories of lazy councillors, some of which I've highlighted here, so living in Islington with the highest paid councillors in the country, I was intruiged by a Dorset councillor's plan for "pay as you work" allowances.

Tory cllr Nick King of Bournemouth Borough Council believes councillors should be paid for the work they do. I agree. Like any normal employee, publicly funded representatives should account for what they do. I don't agree that they should be paid according to the meetings they attend, but I do agree that performance should be rewarded where appropriate and the lazy ones "fined."

No comments: